Off to the Tower of London today. I had no idea how big it is in there. There is so much to see I don’t even think I got to half of it. I went to look at the crown jewels first. They are so sparkly. I can’t imagine what it would be to wear one of those. I couldn’t take pictures of them.Next we took a tour from one of the “beef-eaters” also know as Yeomen. His tour was hilarious. They take you into a chapel where Anne Boylen was buried after being beheaded. He hurried us out of the chapel and said that the last one out gets beheaded. Where the gift shop currently is used to be some of the torture chambers and he noted it still is torture for men and their wallets.
Anyway there is one tower where it shows all the different ways to torture people. They actually said that torture in England was not often used; they just executed people. But if they did need information out of someone they would move them to the Tower of London. The white tower was really neat. There are tons of exhibits about different armor, guns, knives, and spears they used. It is really interactive for kids. This one room teaches you to arch and shoot, and you can measure yourself up to a giant. They also have a display of horses with models of the King’s armor next to them.
After this we went to see Merry Wives of Windsor at the Globe as groundlings. I think I liked Merry Wives of Windsor better than A Mid Summer's Night Dream. It was a little more upbeat and not so dark and mysterious. It only rained for a little bit. BUT it is really cold now. I was freezing during most of play, but I still liked it better than the last.
After dinner I went to Primark for the first time. If you have never been there you won’t really understand. It has really cheap cute clothes and other things that I needed. It is crazy inside. If you set down anything it will be gone in an instant. You feel like you have to run through the stuff to find anything. There are people everywhere. I got a winter jacket that I needed and a belt for like 10 pounds.
6 comments:
I felt tragically sad when I saw the spot where Anne Bolyn was beheaded. From the photo it appears different from when I visited though.
Again I so enjoy reading your blog.
Thank YOU so much for including so many details. I imagined myself running with you.
Take care,
Aunt Sally
I LOVE the Tower of London! Its one of my favourite things to do in London! I'm glad you found Primark. The one on Oxford Street is really crazy though! You have to check out "Next". That is one of my favourites! I worked there while I was on breaks from school and probably spent all of my wages on the clothes. Its a little more expensive than Primark but the stuff is much better quality.
Did they tell you in the Tower of London why the ravens have their wings clipped? They probably did but the reason is because legend is that if the ravens ever left the tower grounds, England would fall. Its obviously not true but we English do like to keep our history alive =)
I Love the Tower! The Yoman Warder tours are the BEST! I also LOVE Primark! I second what Hayley says about Next and also add H&M to the mix cute cheap clothes there. There is one in Whitleys. I know you may not be there for the shopping (and thats good!), but, if you need anything these are great stores!
Merry Wives is SUCH a great play, I have to agree with you.
You still look like you are having a blast Dan! I'm so happy for you. Take some pictures for me.
Post a Comment